IPO means Initial Public Offering. It is a process by which a privately held company becomes a publicly traded company by offering its shares to the public for the first time. A private company, that has a handful of shareholders, shares the ownership by going public by trading its shares. Through the IPO, the company gets its name listed on the stock exchange.
How does a company offer IPO?
A company before it becomes public hires an investment bank to handle the IPO. The investment bank and the company work out the financial details of the IPO in the underwriting agreement. Later, along with the underwriting agreement, they file the registration statement with SEC. SEC scrutinizes the disclosed information and if found right, it allots a date to announce the IPO.
Why does a company offer an IPO?
Offering an IPO is a money-making exercise. Every company needs money, it maybe to expand, to improve their business, to better the infrastructure, to repay loans, etc.
Trading stocks in the open market mean increased liquidity. It opens door to employee stock ownership plans like stock options and other compensation plans, which attracts the talents in the cream layer.
A company going public means that the brand has gained enough success to get its name flashed in the stock exchanges. It is a matter of credibility and pride to any company.
Should you invest in an IPO?
Deciding whether to put your money into an IPO of a relatively new company is indeed tricky. Being a sceptic is a positive attitude to have in the stock market.
The Company obviously does not have enough historical data to back your decision, because it is just going public now. The red herring is the data on the IPO details which is provided in the prospectus, you need to scrutinize it. Know about the fund management team and their plans of IPO generated fund utilization.
Who is underwriting
The process of underwriting is raising investments by issuing new securities. Be cagey of the underwriting of small investment banks. They may be willing to underwrite any company. Usually, an IPO with a success potential is backed by big brokerages that have the ability to endorse a new issue well.
Often IPO takes a deep downtrend after the IPO goes public. The reason behind this fall of the share price is the lockup period. A lockup period is a contractual caveat which refers to a period of time the company’s executives and investors are not supposed to sell their shares. After the lock-up period ends, the share price experiences a drop in its price.
People who buy stocks of the company going public and sell off on the secondary market in the view to get quick money are called flippers. Flipping initiates the trading activity.
Things you should know before investing
- If you have bought an IPO of the company, you are exposed to the fortunes of that company. You bear a direct impact on its success and loss.
It is this asset of your portfolio which has the highest potential to reward the returns. On the flipside, it can sink your investment without a sign. Remember stocks are subjected to volatility of the markets.
- You should know that a company which offers its shares to the public is not indebted to reimburse the capital to the public investors.
- ou should weigh up your potential risks and rewards before investing in an IPO. If you are a novice, read up an account from an expert or a wealth management firm. If still in doubt, talk to your personal financial advisor.
- Download Moneycontrol Share Market News and Portfolio Application:Install this app, and get all the latest information and latest news related to the global financial markets apart from Indian markets. Also you will get expert opinion and you can monitor your portfolio as well.
- Download This apps is Not only this, you can watch CNBC’s English, Hindi and Gujarati language channels through live TV with this app. Moneycontrol Share Market News is free available in this apps. Download this application.
- Download apps in your phone for free ,So, don’t be late again and download and install this app now. It is very fast, very easy to use and free!If you want any type of information related to this app, write an email to email@example.com. Download this application.
- Track the latest movement of global financial markets in addition to Indian markets on your smartphone through the new Moneycontrol app. This app monitors all movements of exchanges like BSE, NSE, MCX, and NCDEX, so you can easily track an index (SENSEX / NIFTY), stocks, futures, options, mutual funds, commodities, and currency. Also, you can monitor your investment through portfolio and watchlist. Download this application.
Moneycontrol Share Market News and Portfolio Application
You can always be updated with the latest news through the news section of this app and your money. In addition to live streaming of CNBC-TV18 (English), CNBC-Awaaz (Hindi) and CNBG-Bazar (Gujarati), and CNBC Prime HD you can also get the most accurate coverage and analysis of the financial market with the opinion of the expert. Download this application.
You will get all these features from the Moneycontrol app -Moneycontrol App offers
- Quickly browse through your Portfolio, Markets Data, Latest News, Watchlist, Message Board, Stock-pin, Stock-Drawer and much more
- Voice-enabled search to help you quickly find stocks, indices, mutual funds, commodities, news, etc. without the hassle of typing. Download this application.
Track your favorite stocks, mutual funds, commodities, futures, and currencies from Watchlist
- Stay updated with timely alerts whenever there is any news on the stocks you track
Forum Message Board:..
- Stay a step ahead by following your favorite topics and top boarders to get the latest recommendations
- Engage and participate in conversations relating to your portfolio or assets of your interest
Moneycontrol Pro Offers:
- Ad-free Experience – More room on your screen for data, along with faster and seamless experience.
- Personalized News – Stay abreast of news as it breaks with curated content for your portfolio.
- Insights, Analysis, and Trends – Sharp commentary and opinion that decodes the news and provides you with insights that can help make better investment decisions.
- Ideas for Profit – Actionable smart investment ideas from our in-house and independent research team.
- Technical Analysis by Professional Chartists
- Smart Calendar of Business and Economic Events
- Guru Speak – Life and market lessons from successful investors you would love to emulate.
- Macro Meter – Make sense of what high-frequency indicators say.
Moneycontrol Pro subscriptions
Monthly – INR 99 per Month (within India) or $1.40 (outside India)
- Quarterly – INR 289 for 3 Months (within India) or $4.09 (outside India)
- Annual – INR 999 for 1 year (within India) or $14.13 (outside India)
- Your Moneycontrol Pro subscription will renew automatically through your Google Play account. You can cancel auto-renewal at any time from the subscription list in your Google Play account. There will be No Refund or Credit for partial monthly subscription periods.
- Easy to use –
- You can easily monitor all financial data, portfolio, watchlist and message board
- Only one search bar with voice search for stocks, indexes, mutual funds, commodities, news etc.
- Latest market data
- Get latest prices of shares, F&O, mutual funds, commodity, and currency from BSE, NSE, MCX, and NCDEX
- Get the latest prices of SENSEX, NIFTY, INDIA VIX, etc.
- Can get market data for stocks, futures, and options
- Charts like Line, Area, Candlestick, and OHLC can be achieved with interactive and better analysis
- The news
- In addition to all the day-long news related to the market, business and economy, you can get interviews with senior management
- Can listen to news and articles through text to speech feature
- With the offline feature, you can save your favorite news and articles and also read them later.
Live tv / my tv
- CNBC-TV18 (English), CNBC-Awaaz (Hindi), CNBC-Bazaar (Gujarati), and CNBC Prime HD can watch all shows live
Can listen to live and the previous TV shows through audio-only feature
Through videos on-demand, you can watch the previous video you want to watch.
Stocks, mutual funds, ULIPs, and bullion can monitor your portfolio
Information about the performance of your portfolio will be received from time to time, and you can get alerts in addition to news related to the stocks included in your portfolio.
- Through this feature, you can keep an eye on your favorite stocks, mutual funds, commodities, futures, and currencies.
You can get alerts from time to time in the form of news and corporate action
You can follow your favorite topics and more interested boarders for getting advice.
For information related to your portfolio or topics of interest, join the conversation, and can also directly connect with it.
The Moneycontrol app is also available for iPhone, Windows, Blackberry, Nokia, Android Tab, and iPad; You can also download it from our website: http://www.moneycontrol.com/apps